The Truth of Water:
- Number of people with no safe drinking-water in the world: 1 billion people
- Number of deaths from unsafe water and sanitation: 2 million deaths per year
- Number of people without access to improved water source: 1 billion
- Number of countries reported to have Cholera (disease transmitted by contaminated water): 50 countries
- 80% of human diseases are caused by water pollution and poor hygiene1
- 10% of world population are consuming food harvested by polluted water; it contains disease-causing micro-organisms1
- 2,000,000 children die yearly from diseases caused by polluted water2
- 50% of hospitalized patients are hospitalized due to diseases caused by polluted water2
Do You Know If Your Water is Clean?
According to EPA US Environmental protection agency:
- 44% of assessed stream miles are not clean enough to support uses such as fishing and swimming.
- Polluted waters contained bacteria, mercury, phosphorus, nitrogen, and low levels of dissolved oxygen from decomposition of organic material.
- Only 28% of US's stream have healthy biological communities compared to best possible conditions in their region.
1 World Health Organization
2 Johannesburg Summit Wehab Working Group